Foods That Are Alkaline
How Eating Foods That Are Alkaline Can Improve Your Health
Eating foods that are alkaline can improve the health of many who live in America; since most Americans eat a highly acidic diet. In fact, researchers have found that people who eat an alkaline and acidic balanced diet tend to live longer. Read on and learn more about why a highly acidic diet is unhealthy, how to balance alkaline and acidity levels, and learn which types of foods are alkaline and acidic.
Problem: Why a Highly Acidic Diet is Unhealthy
Acidic foods add to the number of hydrogen ions in the body; while alkalizing foods remove hydrogen ions. This is important because the human body is healthiest when alkaline and acidic levels are in balance. The human body should be at a pH level of 7.35 to 7.45 on a scale of 0 to 14.
The typical health problems created by high acidic levels in the typical American diet include: bloating, heartburn, belching, water retention, and constipation with diarrhea. Other health symptoms can include fatigue, migraines, and the development of rheumatic and arthritic diseases.
One misconception Americans have is that acidic foods are bad. Acidic and alkalizing foods balance each other out. The problem is when Americans eat excessive amounts of acidic food creating an imbalance in the body.
The ideal balance for those who are active (exercise creates acid) is a ratio of 1 part acid to 4 parts alkaline. For those who are less active, an ideal balance is a ratio of 1 part acid to 2 parts alkaline.
1. Fruits: apples, bananas, black and blue berries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, grapes, grapefruit, guava, lemons, limes, mango, melon, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, raspberries, strawberries, and watermelon.
2. Vegetables: artichokes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, cucumber, green beans, lettuce, lima beans, mint, mustard greens, okra, onions, radishes, spinach, squash, and turnips.
3. Oils: olive oil and vegetable oil.
4. Nuts: almonds
5. Spices and Herbs: chives, endives, parsley, dried figs, flax seed, and garlic.
6. Beverages: water and apple cider.
List of Acid Forming Foods
1. Meats: beef, chicken, ham, lamb, pork, and turkey.
2. Seafood: clams, crabs, fish, frog legs, halibut, lobster, salmon, and scallops.
3. Nuts: beechnuts, cashew nuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, hickory nuts, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts.
4. Oil and Vegetables: cod liver oil and mushrooms
5. Miscellaneous: bread, butter, cereals, cheese, chocolate, cream, eggs, flour, honey, Jell-O, macaroni, margarine, oats, pasta, peanuts, rice, spaghetti, sugar, wheat, and wine.
As you can see foods that are alkaline include most fruits, vegetables, spices, and herbs. Acid forming foods tends to include meats, sea foods, and a large portion of the American diet. Making an effort to increase foods that are alkaline to your diet can help to improve health and the length of human life.
FREE ALKALINE DIET GUIDE & RECIPES ACCESS
We respect your privacy and HATE SPAM as much as you do. So, we promise to never sell or distribute your e-mail address to anyone.